More completed Vintage Purses

Well here we are again. Sorry ’bout the pictures not being clear, but my eyes are tired and I thought they turned out okay.

Didn’t get 3 purses done today wasn’t feeling to good this morning after my visit at the hospital. This purse on the left was finished the other night. Not too sure if I like the handles because they are a tad too big. I might change them out if I can find something smaller.

Purse on the right, completed last night. This is one of the ones that I had blown up last night. I really do like the size and the purse handle goes well with it. Thinking of putting some big black buttons on it. If you notice, the flap the design is going the opposite way then the purse. Planned it that way.

This afternoon I had to remove the purse handle holder and the flap that goes through the ring. The holder was up to high and when you put the flap through the ring it was not laying flat. So off with the items and put the holder down further into the purse and cut off the excess. The flap I had to rip apart and take in on both sides so that it would go through with ease. After this screw up I will check to make sure that any flap that goes through a ring I have the right measurements. As far as the lining, since I cut two inches off the bottom, it lays right on the bottom.

This afternoon I was feeling better, so I pulled out another vintage pattern that I blew up last night and just finished this one. I really do like it, however, I have to see if I can find a large ribbon flower to put on the left side. The design calls for one and it really adds to the purse.

When I bought this remnant, I knew that it had to be a big purse to show off all the detail in the fabric. I wasn’t too sure about the handle and the flap, but it works well. With the flower on the left side it changes the appearance completely. The lining that I used on this purse is a silky fabric that was also a remnant. I am famous for looking at remnants and not paying full price!

Like to give a hint about purses with flaps. Patterns don’t tell you to add boning or some other method, were some do. If you put a extra piece of stabilizer all the way across at the top (here I put 1 1/2 inches) it adds some additional support. You have to make sure that you put it in the right place though or your flap will sag – been there, done that.

So these three vintage bags were all made from upholstery fabric that I purchased last week. Stabilizer was used for the cloth handle and flap in the third purse and the second purse’s bottom lining, so if would not sag with so much stuff in it. 

Purchased some Betty Boop fabric and one of the designs would look good as a flare purse. The flare purse has handles, but I purchased some lightweight chain from the local hardware store that I would like to incorporate into this particular design. The fabric has Betty as a biker chick.

Need some funky purses for my ETSY purse shop, once I open it up. Got some furry fleece, made a shoulder bag for a teenager. She loved it cause it was unusual and different. Animal prints are popular, want to make a big zebra shoulder bag, incorporate black screening into it for a cell phone pouch on the outside. So I am going to move directions for a little bit, cause I like assortment! 

BTW – I found a site that sells magnetic purse closures. Look at my sidebar for the site. I added two different ones, but one sells them a buck a piece, but you have to order a quantity for that price. I have to get my order in, I’m LOW!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s